• Asian Connection
    Asian Connection
* Lockdown violators should be booked under IPC, Disaster Management Act : Home secretary to states     * Need Plan For "Staggered" Movement Of People After Lockdown: PM To States    * UK slammed for coronavirus testing shortfall as officials release guidance on who to save first    * The lessons Italy has learned about its COVID-19 outbreak could help the rest of the world    * Women are using code words at pharmacies to escape domestic violence during lockdown    * Canadians on a repatriation flight from Peru where a passenger had a confirmed case of COVID-19 say they weren’t screened

Toll crosses 100 in US

Posted in World

Published on March 22, 2020 with No Comments

The number of deaths due to the new coronavirus in the US has reached 105, with the outbreak spreading to all 50 states, even as President Donald Trump mounted a warlike effort to contain the situation, including an economic package of $1 trillion. The first fatality from Covid was reported from the Washington state on February 26. Less than a month later, the toll has crossed 100

The US and Britain led a multi-billion-dollar global fightback against economic havoc wreaked by the coronavirus as the European Union (EU) shut its borders to travellers from outside for 30 days to stem the pandemic’s ferocious spread.

The sweeping measures, never before seen in peacetime, have upended society worldwide and roiled financial markets on fears of a global recession. The coronavirus outbreak, which first emerged in China late last year, has quickly marched across the globe, infecting nearly 2,00,000 persons and killing 7,900 as governments scramble to contain it.

Following criticism that they were mismanaging their crisis response, London and Washington announced massive economic stimulus packages. President Donald Trump said the White House was discussing a “substantial” Spending Bill with Congress that would include immediate cash payments to Americans.

China’s health ministry has claimed the Coronavirus  epicentre of Wuhan and its surrounding Hubei province had no new cases of the deadly contagion which has ripped across the globe.

The ministry said Thursday that results over the past 24 hours showed 34 new cases, all detected in people arriving from abroad.  In the central province of Hubei, there were eight new deaths, with the provincial capital Wuhan accounting for six of the fatalities.  Of the 34 imported infections, Beijing accounted for 21 cases, a daily record for the city. It brings the total number of confirmed cases in mainland China so far to 80,928, including 3,245 deaths.  Wuhan at the peak reported thousands of new cases of coronavirus infection daily, overwhelming its health care system. 

China has only just begun loosening draconian travel restrictions within the country, but has stepped-up 14-day quarantine regulations on those arriving in Beijing, Shanghai and elsewhere from overseas, amid expectations of a new influx of students and others returning home. 

More than 70,000 people have been released from hospital and 7,263 remain in treatment. Wuhan is expected to see new coronavirus infections dry up by mid-to-late March and its lockdown may be lifted once there are no new cases for 14 days, the state-backed China Daily reported.

 

No Comments

Comments for Toll crosses 100 in US are now closed.