* Bengaluru doctor with no travel history infected with Omicron, his 5 contacts test Covid-19 positive     * Tennis Body Quits Over Star's Treatment; Don't Politicise, Says China    * China reports 80 local symptomatic Covid-19 cases    * Confusion abounds as Ottawa introduces new pandemic travel measures with few details    * COVID-19 boosters to open to Ontarians 50+ as of Dec. 13, province reports 959 new cases

Mount Pearl parents left fuming at school board after alleged assault on teenage son

Posted in Canada, Featured

Published on November 22, 2021 with No Comments

Former O’Donel High student says he was brutally attacked by six boys during New Year’s Eve party last year.
The parents of a Mount Pearl teenager are wondering where to turn after an alleged violent assault on their son by his high school classmates left him feeling unsafe and unprotected on school grounds.

The O’Donel High student says he was brutally attacked by six boys during a New Year’s Eve party last year, assaulted so severely that police later said it endangered his life, according to his parents.

Those six boys followed him to a wooded area, surrounded him and beat him until he was unrecognizable, said Glenn Sullivan, the boy’s father, speaking from the driveway of his Mount Pearl home.

After the alleged attack, “he didn’t come out of his room for about three weeks,” Sullivan said, describing how multiple kicks to the head left his son with a severe concussion and bloodied eye.

“His face was all misshapen, and he couldn’t hear out of his ear for about a month,” Sullivan said.

The boy’s mother, Jana Sullivan, picked her son up that night, telling he was “covered head to toe” in blood, with cauliflowered ears, a swollen nose and two black eyes. Her son says the boys beat him unconscious and threw his phone into a nearby stand of trees. He woke up to the sound of his phone ringing, she said.
The parents of a Mount Pearl teenager are wondering where to turn after an alleged violent assault on their son by his high school classmates left him feeling unsafe and unprotected on school grounds.

The O’Donel High student says he was brutally attacked by six boys during a New Year’s Eve party last year, assaulted so severely that police later said it endangered his life, according to his parents.

Those six boys followed him to a wooded area, surrounded him and beat him until he was unrecognizable, said Glenn Sullivan, the boy’s father, speaking to CBC News from the driveway of his Mount Pearl home.

After the alleged attack, “he didn’t come out of his room for about three weeks,” Sullivan said, describing how multiple kicks to the head left his son with a severe concussion and bloodied eye.

“His face was all misshapen, and he couldn’t hear out of his ear for about a month,” Sullivan said.

The boy’s mother, Jana Sullivan, picked her son up that night, telling he was “covered head to toe” in blood, with cauliflowered ears, a swollen nose and two black eyes. Her son says the boys beat him unconscious and threw his phone into a nearby stand of trees. He woke up to the sound of his phone ringing, she said.
“This is not something he’s going to get over quickly. This is going to take time,” said Jana, fighting back tears. “But just to know he didn’t have to face the person that did this to him should account for a healthy mental [environment].”

“Just mentally, knowing everybody knew who did it and how it happened and when it happened,” Glenn said. “You have someone almost beat you to death, and then you have to walk down the hall with them every day after that?

“He felt safer going to another province.”

Inaction sends message that ‘violence is acceptable’: advocate
The Sullivans’ son returned to O’Donel in recent weeks, to make another attempt at graduating with his friends.

His mother says the turmoil of the past year continues to haunt him. At one point, it led to retaliation against one of the accused, where her son shoved a boy who had allegedly been harassing him.

The Safe and Caring Schools Policy, a 2013 government document on school violence and bullying, says schools have a responsibility to address violence when it has a “negative effect on the teaching and learning environment of the school,” regardless of where or when it occurred.

Susan Rose, a human rights advocate who has worked in the field of school violence prevention for years, says the Sullivans’ experience highlights a broader problem with the system.

“If you look at the map of Newfoundland and Labrador — 250 schools — we’ve got issues in over half,” she said, describing a “broken” system in which leaders aren’t accountable for sending a team of workers to schools needing help dealing with violence.

The Education Department, in a statement said schools are “prepared to appropriately deal with serious incidents of harm,” but said it encourages restorative, rather than punitive, measures to deal with violence.

“Suspension or moving a student to another school community does not address the underlying issues of school violence,” a spokesperson wrote. “Suspension may be used to keep a student out of school while a plan is being put in place for a successful re-entry, while respecting the needs, safety and dignity of all involved, but it is not the long-term solution to these issues.”
The school board’s silence is no surprise to Rose.

“When you have students that are engaging in this type of activity outside of the school community, and they go back to school and that’s ignored, there’s only one message communicated to every kid in that school: violence is acceptable,” she said.

“That’s the message I’m very sad to say is alive and well in some of our schools.”

 

No Comments

Comments for Mount Pearl parents left fuming at school board after alleged assault on teenage son are now closed.