* Tension in Udaipur after man beheaded in broad daylight in busy market; 2 arrested; CM appeals for peace     * Dogs Take Away Baby From Hospital Bed, Maul Him To Death In Panipat    * 50 migrants believed dead after they were found in a semitruck in San Antonio, official says, with others hospitalized    * Jan. 6 committee hearings on Capitol attack resume with surprise session    * Bancroft, Ont. toddler died in hot car in a ‘dreadful accident,’ mayor says

Iranian state TV anchor returns to Tehran after 10 days in US detention

Posted in World

Published on February 03, 2019 with No Comments

Marzieh Hashemi had been detained in Washington DC as a material witness in an undisclosed federal investigation

A prominent American-born anchor on Iranian state television has arrived back in Iran after being held in the United States for 10 days.

Marzieh Hashemi, 59, arrived in Tehran early Thursday. She was held as a material witness and testified in an undisclosed federal investigation, a US federal court order said last week when she was released. Hashemi, a US citizen, was welcomed by her colleagues in a special ceremony upon her arrival at Imam Khomeini International Airport, according to the report. Hashemi, who works for the Press TV network’s English-language service, was detained by federal agents on January 13 in St Louis, Missouri, where she had filmed a Black Lives Matter documentary after visiting relatives in the New Orleans area. She was then transported to Washington, DC where had remained behind bars until January 24.

Hashemi had appeared in court at least twice before a US district judge in Washington, DC and court papers said she would be released immediately after her testimony before a grand jury. Court documents did not include details on the criminal case in which she was named a witness. The journalist’s detention came amid heightened tensions between Iran and the US after President Donald Trump withdrew from a nuclear deal.


No Comments

Comments for Iranian state TV anchor returns to Tehran after 10 days in US detention are now closed.