* Manipur HC modifies order on Meiteis that sparked ethnic violence     * "Rats In Hostel, Delayed Stipend": 8,000 Doctors On Strike In Maharashtra    * A small chapel in Gaza City offers sanctuary to Palestinians, as Israeli strikes wipe out entire families in the north    * Online harms bill sparks personal attacks from opposition    * Investigation involving OPP, U.S. Homeland Security leads to largest gun bust in Ontario's history

Family of man killed at Muzik files $2.5 million lawsuit against club

Posted in Canada, Community

Tagged:

Published on February 12, 2016 with No Comments

The family of a Brampton man who was killed at Muzik nightclub last August has filed a lawsuit against the club, alleging it failed to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of patrons. Duvel Hibbert, 23 and Ariela Navarro-Fenoy, 26 were killed in the Aug. 4, 2015 shooting at an OVO Fest after-party. Three others were wounded.

Hibbert’s family has filed the suit and are seeking $2.5 million in damages.

“Family members are still struggling to understand how this could have happened,” the family’s lawyer said in a statement. “They’re looking for answers, accountability and assurances that it is not business as usual,” Michael Smitiuch added.

Toronto police have said Hibbert was an intended target. Navarro-Fenoy was an innocent bystander.

In a statement last year, Muzik said it had “73 professionally trained” security guards on duty, which included “15 specially trained guards who conduct body searches, including the use of metal-detecting wands, on all patrons entering the property.”

The club said it also had 10 armed Toronto police officers on paid duty as part of the security detail.

 

 

No Comments

Comments for Family of man killed at Muzik files $2.5 million lawsuit against club are now closed.