The Asian Connections Newspaper</center>

<!-- Google Adsense-->
<script type=
* TTC boss Rick Leary resigns, citing new 'opportunities' ahead     * 'Doesn't look too great': CIA analysyt sparks concerns over Kim Jong's health    * BJP's Bhartruhari Mahtab Appointed Pro Tem Speaker, Congress Says "Mistake"     * Bad math and missing millions: Why the Toronto airport gold heist is far from solved     * Why Hezbollah is threatening this tiny European country

At least 300 migrants feared dead off Italian coast

Posted in Featured, World

Tagged:

Published on February 13, 2015 with No Comments

Some 300 migrants who tried to cross the frigid Mediterranean in open, rubber boats, were reported missing by survivors as the UN refugee agency and other aid groups sharply criticized the new EU rescue operation as insufficient and costing lives.
The suspected deaths add to the 29 reported earlier in the week by the Italian coast guard, which said those victims had died of hypothermia during the voyage that began over the weekend in Libya, where most smuggling operations originate.
The United Nations high commissioner for refugees said survivors had reported that four boats had left together, without food or water, and that the boats began taking on water almost immediately. Some 107 people had been rescued by the Italian coast guard and a merchant ship.
The nationalities of the survivors and those missing were not immediately given, but a large proportion of those arriving at the moment are fleeing conflicts in Iraq, Syria, Mali and elsewhere.

 

No Comments

Comments for At least 300 migrants feared dead off Italian coast are now closed.