• Asian Connection
    Asian Connection
* P Chidambaram fails to get immediate relief from Supreme Court in INX Media case, plea likely to be heard on Friday; Lookout notice issued    * Eye on 2022 Uttar Pradesh Assembly Battle, Yogi's New Cabinet Ensures Caste and Regional Balance    * Pakistan targets Priyanka Chopra, writes to UNICEF to remove her as Goodwill Ambassador    * Fed-up Portland residents say liberal policies allow addiction, mental illness to spur homeless crisis    * Ontario to end funding for ‘inappropriate’ medical procedures

Sudan protesters reject generals’ call for talks; 60 killed

Posted in World

Published on June 09, 2019 with No Comments

More than 40 bodies of people slain by Sudanese security forces were pulled from the Nile River in the capital of Khartoum, organizers of pro-democracy demonstrations said, and new clashes brought the death toll in three days of the ruling military’s crackdown to 108. The Sudan Doctors Committee, one of the protest groups, reported eight more deaths by and said at least 509 people had been wounded. Word about the retrieval of the bodies came as Sudan’s ruling general called for a resumption of negotiations with the protest leaders, which they promptly rejected. They said the generals cannot be serious about talks while troops keep killing protesters.

More than 40 bodies of people slain by Sudanese security forces were pulled from the Nile River in the capital of Khartoum, organizers of pro-democracy demonstrations said, and new clashes brought the death toll in three days of the ruling military’s crackdown to 108. The Sudan Doctors Committee, one of the protest groups, reported eight more deaths by and said at least 509 people had been wounded. Word about the retrieval of the bodies came as Sudan’s ruling general called for a resumption of negotiations with the protest leaders, which they promptly rejected. They said the generals cannot be serious about talks while troops keep killing protesters.

Months of protests succeeded in forcing the ouster in April of strongman Omar al-Bashir, who had ruled Sudan for 30 years as head of a repressive state backed by the military and Islamists. When the generals took power after his fall, the protesters stayed in the streets, saying they wanted an end to military rule as well.

For weeks, the military and protest leaders negotiated over the makeup of a transitional council meant to run the country for three years before elections. Protesters demand that civilians dominate the council, but the generals resisted.

Burhan abruptly announced that the generals were prepared to resume negotiations with “no restrictions.”

“We open our hands to negotiations with all parties for the interest of the nation,” Burhan said, adding that those responsible for the attack on the sit-in camp would be held accountable.

 

No Comments

Comments for Sudan protesters reject generals’ call for talks; 60 killed are now closed.