Voice 370 for review
- Voice 370, a group representing the relatives of those aboard the flight, has pressed the new Malaysian government to review all matters related to MH370
- The initial search, carried out by Malaysia, China, and Australia, was called off in January last year after failing to find any trace of the Boeing 777 aircraft within a 710,000- plus sq km area of the Indian Ocean
- Malaysia had agreed to a request by the US Company operating the search, Ocean Infinity, to extend the hunt until May 29. It was given 90 days to find MH370 on a “no-find, no-fee” basis
Most expensive search in aviation history
- The search is estimated to have cost some $151 million, according to Australia’s minister for infrastructure and transport, Darren Chester. Most of the funds were provided by the Malaysian government
- It has been the most expensive search for a missing plane in history. The only physical sign of the plane has been debris that washed up in eastern Africa and nearby islands, far from where experts believed the flight disappeared
- A wing fragment and part of the plane’s flaperon are among the remnants that have turned up. Several theories on what might have happened to the flight have been put forward, including pilot suicide
Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has said that the time has come to stop the hunt for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, after a three-month search carried out by an America-based firm officially ended without making major progress. “We have not found any evidence yet, so we have to come to a stage where we cannot keep searching for something we really cannot find,” Tun Dr Mahathir said at a press conference held after the weekly Cabinet meeting. He added that the new government will consider resuming the search if somebody can provide information, but at the moment it must stop.
The previous administration of Najib Razak, who was defeated in a stunning election upset on May 9, had promised up to $70 million to the Texas-based firm if it found the plane within 90 days.
Malaysia’s transport minister, Anthony Loke, said a full report into MH370’s disappearance would be published in the near future, but he did not give a date.
“I can assure you the final report will be published with full disclosure. There will not be any edits, or anything hidden,” he told reporters. Asked whether the report would refer to controversial elements of the MH370 case, he said: “To me, whatever elements, we will just publish it”.
Last year, Australian authorities said the MH370 captain had flown a route on his home simulator six weeks before the disappearance that was “initially similar” to the course actually taken by the aircraft.